I was at HomeGoods awhile back and I stumbled upon a beautiful, clear glass lamp that OPENED so you could fill it with whatever your heart fancied. I immediately wanted it, because, you know...I totally like swapping things around in my house on, like, you know...a daily basis. Imagine the treasures I could display for every season, every holiday, every whim.
It was $80.
I left the store without it.
But, that glass lamp stuck with me. Long enough that I decided to make my own. However, there were those pesky lamp guts to deal with. And, a lid for the glass container was pretty important, but the lamp guts needed to get inside the lamp somehow.
1. Lamp guts needed to get into the container.
2. Lamp guts needed to exit the container.
Then one day I ventured on over to Hobby Lobby to have a look-see. That's when I discovered a beverage dispenser. And, it was acrylic.
1. Acrylic can be drilled. Guts can enter container.
2. Beverage spout can be removed. Guts exit container.
Am I like, so totally good at being smart, and stuff?
(before you answer that, see below picture)
Yeah, so I don't have a great picture of my acrylic beverage dispenser before it was an acrylic display lamp. Sorry 'bout that. But, you get the idea, right?
I purchased a lamp kit, also from Hobby Lobby, and used my 40% coupon, making it $6. Oh, I should mention that my drink dispenser was on sale for $11. Making my total lamp price $17.
Here are the steps to Lampification:
1. Drill hole through lid. I used the drill bit that was in the section of my bits label "for use with plastic". Eh? Who's back to being smart now?
2. Feed the cord through the spout hole (after you've removed spout, of course). NOTE: once you assemble the lamp pieces, that's it...there's no going back. So, make sure you get that cord in there. Or it's all over.
3. Finish assembling the lamp kit according to the lamp kit instructions.
Now, all that's left to do is fill your pretty vase with whatever your heart fancies!!
Pinecones and sticks? Nubby yarn in wintry colors? Sure! Okay!
What about Valentine pretties? You betcha!
You just go ahead and fill that lamp with whatever you want. That's the beauty of being you.
(now, go get'em tiger.)
(Like what you see? Follow 52 Mantels!)
Follow 52 Mantels by Email
Yep! I link up to these parties and Thrifty Decor Chick