Oreos + cupcakes = a tasty sweet surprise! On Friday, we celebrated my husband's birthday with a good group of friends. And, I needed a cupcake that he'd really be excited about. Enter this cupcake, that he's since named "Oreo surprise". Because, well, the Oreo bottom really surprised (and delighted!) him! :)
If you know me, you know this cupcake started with a box mix. Because, you know I don't like measuring cake ingredients. Seriously. I prefer to let Betty do it. But, the addition of the Oreo makes it feel extra special. And, the Oreo buttercream makes it extra delicious. Trust me.
Oreo Surprise Cupcake with Oreo Buttercream Icing
1 Box Butter Yellow Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Yellow)
+Ingredients listed on Box Mix
1/2 C Salted Butter
1/2 C Butter Flavored Crisco
1 t. Vanilla
5 C. Powdered Sugar
1/3 Cup Milk
10 Oreos, finely crushed
- Prepare box mix per directions. Set aside.
- Place 24 cupcake liners in two muffin pans.
- Place 1 oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Spoon cake mix over Oreos, filling liners approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake according to box instructions, careful not to over bake.
- While the cakes are baking, start on the icing.
- Place crisco and butter in mixer and beat for a full 5 minutes (very important step!)
- Add milk, vanilla, salt, powdered sugar and crushed Oreos and beat to combine.
- Pipe onto cupcakes when cupcakes are completely cool.
- Break remaining 12 Oreos in half.
- Garnish each iced cupcake with 1/2 an Oreo.